HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Doing something wrong
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2020, 10:15 AM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

a I have I said many times, hunting is a never ending learning and advancing your skills
the more you get out there and DO it, and pay attention to details, you will learn as time passes and get better
but if you just keep doing the same things, you will tend to be relying on LUCK to change anything!

its all about advancing your skill sets, and learning to read terrain, and the wildlife and how they use things, from wind to food sources to??
its not a learn this and your GREAT at it sport
you have to learn a LOt of little things and most all of them take TIME< in the field to learn them, you will never learn most hunting skills by reading or watching any video or show
its about doing it, and paying attention to what worked and what didn;t and how things react, HOW did you get in and out, HOW did you set up
NOT every goose or duck will react or act the same, just like ALL species of living critters, they all can react DIFFERENTLY .
but some where in there is a medium that works more often than not, and its ALL about finding that as time passes
what works for ME< maybe WON"T for you
as there are SO many variables in hunting, from location, weather, hunting pressure, game numbers, food supply's and so on!

decoys MIGHT matter, but I woudn't ever say there the # 1 thing in duck geese hunting
UNLESS your hunting VERY SMART geese that have been shot at a few times
as there an animal that LEARNS, just like a good hunter will
you learn what to look for to be successful, and they look at it to survive!
this is why many Snow geese will NEVER come into a few decoys, they tend to require a LOT of decoys to be tricked, and that might be a 100 or 500 decoys,
its not always the quality of the decoys, as it can be the number of them and placement of them
fill a parking lot up with the BEST decoys in the world, and I doubt many will come in and land, even if your a world champ caller too LOL
there still has to be a reasons for them to WANT to land there , with there LOOK ALIKE< fake buddies!

don't know if you have access to any place you can jump shoot waterfowl, but maybe that might be something else to try if you have the interest(and way to recover any that l;and in water)
I have done very well hunting them this way and don;t need as many decoys or blinds or??
more on the go hunting style maybe, some like, some not so much, I had a great retriever (lab) so was also a reason I liked that, got to see him work on retrieves! and all!

ALl I can say is stick with it, keep trying and pay attention to things from YOUR set up's to where they seem to want to be and ask WHY they want to be "X" places if not by you!
are they seeing you, is there better food else where? is your calling scaring them over convincing them your a like critter!
its all about asking and learning things
stick with it and sooner or later things will get better and you'll have more skills and confidences as well!