HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do I need a license to shoot in my backyard?
Old 10-25-2020, 01:35 PM
kxj5906
Spike

Default Do I need a license to shoot in my backyard?

Hi, I'm new here. I have almost no previous hunting experience, so wanted to ask some people more experienced.

I recently bought a house in West Haven, CT and I have a pesky groundhog that is eating my vegetables. I read somewhere that it was totally ok to do so if they are causing a nuisance. But wanted to verify.

1. Is it legal to shoot groundhogs and squirrels on my property (backyard in West Haven) with a BB gun and/or pellet rifle without a hunting permit/license?

2. Second question - Can I shoot squirrels on private property without a license for food purposes?

3. If it's not legal, what would be the legal way to hunt them? Thank you so much.

I would greatly appreciate any written CT laws and statutes that explicitly pertain to my questions so that I know what I am doing is legal. I tried looking at the hunting laws in CT but its so long and convoluted. Can someone please help me understand and explain? Thanks