HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why so many?
Thread: Why so many?
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2020, 04:40 PM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Actually it is the weather in the area the wild hogs are that determines how many times a year they breed and have young, not whether they are truly wild or just feral. In the states the hogs in the southern part of the county can have 2 or 3 litters while the hogs in the northern part of the county will have just one.
Real Wild Boar mate in the Fall and have a litter in late winter early spring. Their gestation period is somewhere between 110 and 120 days. I have no real first-hand Observation, feral domestic Hogs are rare here but they are around. I've always assumed and read that domesticated Hogs are breed to have multiple litters a year, Which makes sense more litters more money, and a more efficient production model.
I imagine it can be weather-related, but the trigger for Wild Boar seems to be colder weather and/or shorter days.
It seems reasonable some lines of feral domestic Hog revert back to the standard over the generations. It has been hypothesized that multiple litters a year may be dominant in some lines. Most feral populations breed randomly and eventually over generations revert back to the base model or a hybrid very close to the original.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 10-15-2020 at 11:48 PM.