HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My Savage .308 rifle at 2" high at 100 yards...
Old 10-09-2020, 11:44 AM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

Butch, unlike the others, I really don't care if I offend you or not. But I'm to tell it like it is. You have a rifle there that is a fine rifle for deer hunting. But it is not THAT accurate a rifle. In fact I've owned a few Savage rifles that would easily shoot much better than that off sandbags let alone locked into a solid rest. The pic I attached is the first outing with my Savage Axis in 350 legend after installing a scope. My first shot was wide right. I over adjusted the scope and the next shot went a bit wide left. I then re-adjusted the scope and proceeded to shoot 5 more shots. The hole in the almost center of the bull has 2 bullets through it and the figure 8 shape a little higher and right has 3 bullets in it. That bull is 1.25" in diameter so you're looking at 5 rounds into about 3/4". And just so you know, this isn't the most accurate rifle I own. This is a rifle I just bought earlier this year as a "beater" rifle. And no I don't spend thousands of $$ on custom rifles. I only buy standard production rifles.
So don't go getting all pi$$y at these forum members that have a lot more shooting experience than you have because they don't agree with your "accurate" groups. Besides, 2 shots do not make a group. Shoot several 5 shot groups without adjusting the scope and then you'll see how well your rifle shoots.
Your rifle is plenty accurate for 95% of the hunting the average person does but it isn't spectacular. So just suck up the factual comments Buttercup and live with it.
Attached Images  

Last edited by bronko22000; 10-09-2020 at 11:57 AM.