HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How far away should I park a ranger/utv when coyote hunting?
Old 10-02-2020, 01:18 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

My experience is it often depends on how used they are to vehicle traffic. In most farming areas they are used to tractors. I once had a Yote come right at me sitting in my Jeep, I eventually shot it at around 40 yards. In most cases, they will hunker down and hide when a tractor drives by, but don't flat out head for the hills. Generally speaking, I don't expect much wildlife action for the first 3/4 hour after I move into a spot. I usually get into spot way early, an hour and a half before prime time, sunrise and sunset.
An exception around here is Hogs, our Hogs seem to unass the area when a vehicle shows up and may move way out of the area. Likely the same for Yotes that have been shot at and missed often.
I generally park around a quarter-mile from where I plan to hunt. But once nailed a Hog 30-40 yards from my truck on the way out of my blind.
What I try not to do is leave my scent all over. I'll generally wait a few days before I use the same spot again.