HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How far away should I park a ranger/utv when coyote hunting?
Old 10-01-2020, 05:43 AM
rogerstv
Nontypical Buck

If the area has coyotes and you are not seeing any while hunting, you are doing something wrong. I suspect it ties to the UTV. While sitting in a tree during the IL archery deer season, I was watching and filming what appears to be a booner 8 pt. Whitetail. When he finally committed to my direction. I put the camera down and grabbed my bow. Within seconds the buck stopped, turned, and ran away. Within a few more seconds I heard then saw an ATV coming down the field road. The buck heard it well before me and reacted well before the 4-wheeler appeared. The 4-wheeler rider had no idea what he just did.

Coyotes are more skiddish than deer. They tend to relate vehicles to bullets coming at them.

I believe you can ride in somewhat close. The next step would be to quietly get away from the vehicle and wait for everything to calm down. Try to keep the coyotes from relating your calling to the recent motor noise. 700 acres of rolling hills and patchwork farm ground should offer dozens of sets. A 100 yard move followed by 30 minutes of stillness can change the whole situation.