HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How far away should I park a ranger/utv when coyote hunting?
Old 09-29-2020, 08:56 AM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

as far as I am concerned HOW far away you can park a ATv/UTV/SXS all comes down to a BUNCH of factors, first being how used to them are the area's wildlife, in some places where ATv/UTV use is often and daily, most all wildlife adapts to them and after a while they pay less and less attention to them
but if an area is almost always quiet and few and far between riders, wildlife will pay much more attention to them, so that is one factor

Next is, where and how your setting up

If your area allows for approach from one direction and you have little to NO chance of things coming in from behind you, you can many times park a LOT closer(liek say your sitting on top of a high ridge watching a valley below or field or??(houses farms behind you)
your really only expecting things to come from in front of you
in places like this, I have KILLED coyotes parking atv just behind me, even used it for cover at times when wide open places(throwing a camo netting cover over ATV
but again, the smell of atv will, be there, so they have to have some normal exposure to things like them to NOT find the scent and have that keep them away!
how used to machines makes a different in HOW close you can park as dopes terrain

if your hunting rolling hill,s parking at the bottom of one and hunting from the top can work, some times
there is NO one set answer here, too many factors come into play

when ever I used an ATV to hunt coyotes I always waited at least an hour before calling too

now as for size of hunting area??
well in my experience how far apart you can call and not be an issue all comes down to the terrain and NOT acres
I hunt many different types of land and some places I can set up 500 yards or less apart and have totally different views and sounds will not travel from one set up to another
I don;t use very LOUD calls or calling, as it is NOT very effective in many places
out west and in wide open farm land, YES calling can be louder to reach farther and still have you set up inn one spot
but its not the same when hunting forested lands with lots of hills and valley's close together!
so sort of like above, factors play into things and there is NO set rule to how far apart call set ups need to be! its all based on factors that determine how far sound will carry, what you can see a winds , and HOW you hunt them, and so on!

tons of folks kill coyotes at different call set ups on lands way smaller than 700 acres
I have killed 3-4 off 200 acres in a day! setting up and calling in a few places!
heck most of the places I hunted coyotes were well under 700 acres, !
and I killed a LOT of coyotes over the yrs