HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Logging
Thread: Logging
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2020, 01:56 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

this is an impossible to answer this question without knowing a LOT more details
as so many things can effect how long
like HOW many tree's being cut, clear cutting, selective cutting, removing tree tops, or leaving them behind,
how much access will timber crew have to lands, can they skid tree's out at will;, or have to follow certain trails
are they HAND cutting tree's with chain saws, or using a large machine to cut them<
HOW many people working to cut area< 2 guy's 10, 20?

here in my area they will NOT timber any wet sections till ground freezes to prevent excessive damage to the ground?

so , sorry NOT what you want to hear, I am sure, but being honest

how long it takes , is just based on too many unknown factors to even guess at IMO
a two man crew on one farm I managed took them 3 months to timber a 50 acre section

that was a rather selective cut too, leaving tops where they fell
, but a LOT of the tree's were 100-150+ yr old VERY large hard wood and even soft wood being taken(well some of it, some was left behind per

so size of timbers also plays a role in how long it takes them, same can be said on HOW many drivers they have to HAUL cut logs away and HOW far they need to be hauled before being dropped off at a mill or?? land owner wishes)

your BEST bet if you wish to know, is find out WHO is timbering, and ask them what there time frame looks like!, or maybe even the land owner, as most have a signed contract that say when they can and cannot log, as in when they HAVE to be off land!