HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Should I use fixed blade or mechanical for Deer
Old 09-16-2020, 05:57 AM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

I totally agree with MRBBs post but not so much with Wingbone's. Regarding his comment I've had the same thing happen with a 4 blade Muzzy broadhead after placing a perfect behind the shoulder shot. After jumping the deer and then backing out I recovered it to find my arrow did the same thing coming out on the opposite side just forward of the hip.
I've been bowhunting for 55+ years and have used both designs. I've killed tons of deer with Muzzys and Magnus Stingers. Most of the deer I've shot with the Stingers died within sight. I suppose that was because they went through them so fast they may have thought they were stung by a bee or something. But if yoou use these be forewarned to use new out of the pack for hunting. They are somewhat "soft" and shooting into a layered foam target has been know to bend them slightly causing erratic arrow flight. Magnus does honor their return policy and will replace any that do this. However I currently use Rage mechaincals. The devastation they cause is something to behold. This is a major plus on a less than perfect shot.
Keep in mind there are some designs of mechanicals that IMO aren't that good. Schwackers and those that don't open up until entry can cause you a tracking problem if you don't get a pass through. Designs like Rage and NAP Bloodrunner are good designs. IMO though the Rage 2 blade is hands down the best out there. I prefer the Hypodermic.

Last edited by bronko22000; 09-16-2020 at 06:00 AM.