HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Remington Shoe Dropped
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2020, 01:25 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Part of me is quite confident that the ammunition business will carry on, relatively unchanged. It’s a successful brand, so a new buyer/investor would do well to sustain the brand name.

Notwithstanding is my sliver of concern that the collapse of the firearms business might be sufficiently damaging to the brand, such a buyer/investor for the severed ammunition business might be advantaged to clip the Remington name out of their life. Same folks running the same machines, but new labels on the boxes and new people signing the paychecks. It wouldn’t be the worst thing that I could picture for the Remington ammunition business. But even under a different name, I expect SOMEONE will be left holding the IP rights and manufacturing equipment to make sure the Corelokt bullet survives into the future - and many of their other ammunition/bullets.

I suppose I do NOT know how many bullets/components they contract from other makers, such as the Accutip bullet line, which is manufactured by Hornady. The new owners may not wish to sustain such contracts, or the contractors not wish to sustain with the new owners, so we might see those fall aside - and if they’re a large enough portion of the business, it might nuke the entire Remington brand.

I’m a bit surprised to see only $65m valuation on the ammunition company, so I’m prone to expect it’s meant to be a severance + rebrand, not a buy and sustain play.