HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Cameron Co Pennsylvania
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2020, 11:49 AM
Bocajnala
Super Moderator

From everything I've read the main struggle you will have in that unit is finding where the elk are in all of the available land, rather than land access. Lots of public land available to hunt. I'd focus first on getting a few maps and then driving the roads in the unit. Mark what looks promising, mark what looks like good access points for places that you want to get to, and get an idea of the layout of the roads so that you can better navigate the unit during your limited time to hunt rather than spending time figuring out where to go and looking at maps during season. Have all of that figured out before season That way if you know that you need to get two mountains over you know if it's easier to hike there, or drive around and come in from another spot.

After you have a good idea on the layout of the unit I'd start hiking into those promising areas and seeing what you can find. Where the elk are right now probably isn't where they will be in early November, So keep that in mind while you're scouting. I also wouldn't hesitate (if this is legal) to split up with your hunting partners come season so that you guys can cover more area and have more of a chance of locating a herd. If you have a partner or 3 able to cover some ground you up your chances of finding elk and can then plan your stock and get in close enough with that front stuffer.

I would look into some type of game sled if you don't have one already. Even a 55 gallon plastic drum with hook points for a drag rope can help allot. Elk are big- even knowing they are big and having seen them before when I saw my first one on the ground it was a surprise.

I would take the first Good shot that you are presented with on a legal animal. And enjoy the process! A "lucky" tag for sure, so make sure you enjoy it

OT had a rug done with his a few years ago. I can't find the thread now, but he had posted pictures of it and it looked really good. Keep us updated on the process.

-Jake