HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - It makes you wonder!
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2020, 07:18 AM
hardcastonly
Super Moderator

The problem here is that each rifle is rather unique, what may be a stellar and accurate load in my rifles MAY or MAY NOT, provide similar results in your rifle.
factors like twist rates, and chamber rifling lead distance, barrel harmonics, even the way a shooter holds a rifle, can make a big difference.
yeah, I can tell you what works great in my rifle but it may or may not work the same in even a similar rifle in every case.
a change in the powder charge or primer or bullet brand can make a significant change in group size.

those gentlemen that are not into reloading their own ammo are very unlikely to have seen the differences that what might be considered minimal changes to the ammo can cause!
example
I have a 30/06 BLR that will consistently place three shots at 100 yards off a good bench rest in less than a 3/4" group with one favorite load I use
53 grains of imr 4350 and a 215 fed primer under a 200 grain speer bullet, seated out to the max length that the magazine and chamber will allow.
that load and bullet has become my standard for that rifle as a result
https://www.speer.com/bullets/rifle_...t/19-2211.html

change the over all seated bullet/ cartridge length, primer or powder charge
even marginally and 1.5"-2" 100 yard 3 shot groups are more likely
one of the guys I hunt with has a remington bolt action 30/06 that shoots the same ammo into about 2.4" groups,
but he consistently gets 1" groups with 150 grain hornadys and WW760 powder
theres no doubt that each rifle seems to prefer specific ammo configurations and as a hand loader it can take some effort/time to find that preferred matching load.
Id also have to point out that about 90% of the deer and elk Ive ever shot with that BLR in caliber 30/06 have been shot at well under 200 yards,
and I doubt there would have been a nickels worth of difference , in the results, (very dead game)
if I used that favorite handload or one that held a 2" group with a similar bullet

Last edited by hardcastonly; 08-07-2020 at 08:29 AM.