HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Sika Deer
Thread: Sika Deer
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2003, 01:47 PM
MdBowBender

Default RE: Sika Deer

Thanks for the response Scott.

I am glad you responded to the post before you have ever been sika deer hunting.

Don't do it !!!! it's addictive, worse than any drug out there!

I remember my first Sika deer hunt, Happened on Blackwater NWR, I trudged out in the middle of a swamp with every 3rd step leaving me up to my waist when I hit a nutria hole. You could almost hear the mosquito's fighting over the fresh blood as soon as you get out of your truck! I finally make it to where I want to put my stand, climb up the tree and get ready. Off in the distance a sika stag bugle's and my heart starts pounding. Then out of nowhere up come 2 sika stags a six point and a ragged 4 point. They have a battle royale 10 yards from the base on my stand. I sit in my stand with a grin from ear to ear just knowing that I am going to be draggin out 2 stags because they are battling so hard! Finally the six point chases of the 4 point and gives me a good shot. I took the shot hit him perfect taking out both lungs and the top of his heart and he takes of like a shot!. I get down from my stand and track the stag for 250 yards, wondering the whole time if the shot was as good as I thought, Sure enough I find him and the shot is perfect. I start dragging him back through the swap, thank god that was the exact time my hunting buddy shows up and helps me with the drag. Got back to the truck with my first ever sika deer, on my first ever sika hunt, covered from head to toe in swamp muck and mosquito bites and could not possibly have been happier! He was a real nice stag, right horn was 19" tall and the left 18" only thing wrong on his rack was the mid tine on the left horn was slightly broken (probably happened during the fight).

In any case I have been addicted since then, If my previous employement hadn't taken me out of state (mississippi) then I would have been there every year since then. But I am back now!