HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - getting basic handgun skills
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2020, 02:04 PM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Wifeshusband
I learned how to shoot a revolver with the military police in the 70's. Back then they did not use automatics for safety reasons. I once shot a nice buck with a .357 magnum,
in the heart, at 20 yds, and it ran 100 before screeching to a halt. But I would recommend a 41 or 44 caliber, ported barrel, six to eight inches with a good scope. Due to
his age now I would just start him right off with this rig instead of beginning with a 22 or 38 special. Get him low recoil loads to start with and work up to a hunting load.
The key is to practice, practice, practice, something he can do a lot with indoor ranges. When hunting deer or hogs I would limit shots to 75 yds or less. In other words,
like bow hunting, it's all about getting close. Due not my age I do not care to hunt with handguns, but I could see where it would be a lot of fun for a younger guy. Oh, one
more thing, get a good chest/shoulder holster for hunting. Much easier to hunt with than trying to sit down with the "hogleg" pinned to your waist. Good luck.

The military did not use semi automatic handguns for safety reasons?? You arr a troll ho doesn't know squat and are full of crap! In the 70's the standard sidearm was a semi auto pistol, not a revolver.