HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - getting basic handgun skills
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2020, 10:16 AM
Wifeshusband
Spike

Default Getting basic handgun skills

I learned how to shoot a revolver with the military police in the 70's. Back then they did not use automatics for safety reasons. I once shot a nice buck with a .357 magnum,
in the heart, at 20 yds, and it ran 100 before screeching to a halt. But I would recommend a 41 or 44 caliber, ported barrel, six to eight inches with a good scope. Due to
his age now I would just start him right off with this rig instead of beginning with a 22 or 38 special. Get him low recoil loads to start with and work up to a hunting load.
The key is to practice, practice, practice, something he can do a lot with indoor ranges. When hunting deer or hogs I would limit shots to 75 yds or less. In other words,
like bow hunting, it's all about getting close. Due not my age I do not care to hunt with handguns, but I could see where it would be a lot of fun for a younger guy. Oh, one
more thing, get a good chest/shoulder holster for hunting. Much easier to hunt with than trying to sit down with the "hogleg" pinned to your waist. Good luck.