HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Experienced Deer Hunters
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2020, 03:08 AM
Daveboone
Fork Horn

My first and still favorite rifle is my heavily sporterized Mauser 98 in 8x57. It is devastating on deer, and has always anchored them immediately in their tracks. I love the rifle and cartridge, but almost feel that it is more gun than is needed for white tail...especially at my normal close woods ranges.
My long time most used deer cartridge is the .308. I live in upstate NY and hunt mostly in heavily wooded areas. I like the shorter lighter action of the round, and have used the gun in several different firearms. I have always had splendid performance with only several heart shot deer that ran a short distance...all others dropped on the spot. After being unhappy with the several different rifles I was using for varying reasons, I have sold/traded off and currently don't own a .308. In my last trade though, I obtained a Ruger 77 mk2 in .270, the first I have ever owned. I am delighted with my range results and will be using it this year, and am eager to see the results. My only slight concern is for the bullet performance at the usual close ranges I am shooting at , which is inside of 40 yards.