HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Experienced Deer Hunters
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2020, 05:06 PM
hunters_life
Typical Buck

I am more than primarily a muzzle loading enthusiast. Rarely do I pull out a center fire anymore. When I go on a pig hunt I take an AR chambered in .223 or the old man's 6.8. When placed properly, either cartridge will make pork chops. I've rolled many hogs on the run with that little wilson combat .223. But if I go out of state on a deer hunt with centerfire I tend to take one of the old lever guns. I've got an old Winchester mod. 70 in .300wm that I bought for Elk that has taken a few whitetail as well but, as was mentioned, that much power is certainly not needed for whitetail. The old man was a fan of 7mm 08 way before Remington adopted it. There are just way too many cartridge choices out there for anyone to say any one is the best whitetail cartridge choice. If I had to pick, I would have to say for all around whitetail cartridge choice, my pick would more than likely be 7mm 08. Plenty of bullet choices in the mass needed and plenty of range for your average, and even above average skilled shooters.