HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - One week left in the season and need some help
Old 05-26-2020, 09:15 AM
CalHunter
Super Moderator

Tyl3r, best wishes and prayers for your father. That's a tough thing to go through under normal circumstances but is even worse with the corona virus going around. It sounds like your calling is at least getting their attention. Phil mentioned a clever setup that I'm gonna have to try just cause next season. Very well thought out and would be fun to see how it works in my neck of the woods. As always, an enticing decoy setup does give the birds something to see if they choose to investigate your calling.

In my area, toms start the season gobbling in response to my calling at the beginning of the season but as the season progresses and more hens have already been mated, toms stop gobbling in response as much and often don't respond at all but can still come in silently to see what my calling is about. This makes it very easy to get busted if I'm moving or just happen to stand out where I'm hiding. By the middle of this season, I was seeing groups of toms hanging together, sometimes without any hens present at all. Every area and state can be a little different at times, depending on how the mating season, weather, etc. is. So what I experienced this season in my area could be quite different in yours (especially since you have other hunters nearby and I don't). But that makes it a fun and exciting puzzle to solve.

Last edited by CalHunter; 05-26-2020 at 09:17 AM.