HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - One week left in the season and need some help
Old 05-24-2020, 09:07 PM
CalHunter
Super Moderator

This is an interesting challenge and I can see why you're determined to prevail (I would too). Your post above shed a lot more light on your hunting area. I'm more of a run and gun style hunter but I hunt on a private ranch with nobody else hunting within a mile or so. I call some but not a lot and am not nearly as good or knowledgeable about it as JW (he teaches turkey hunting). After looking at your picture, am I correct in assuming that you have access and hunting rights to the clear cuts to the right of your red mark in your picture? If so, I would be curious if you can set up decoys and call from further back. You mentioned other hunters are hunting on the other side of the field. It's possible they can push turkeys across to your side if they hunt them hard enough. From the times you mentioned, I would be curious if the turkeys maybe don't come towards your side of the field until later in the day. Also, you mentioned property owners telling you about where turkeys are during certain hours of the day. That's very helpful.

Where I hunt, turkeys often don't show up in a given area until around a certain hour of the day. And when they do, they're still mobile and grazing so to speak. Timing is everything if you run and gun. If you're sitting and calling with decoys, patience becomes everything. Read what JW and Phil are telling you about calling a little and waiting. I know that's really hard to do (part of why I run and gun) but it can make a huge difference if you exercise the patience and don't get busted moving. I'm sure the other guys will give you a lot of even more specific advice and tactics to try. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you this season.

Last edited by CalHunter; 05-25-2020 at 01:17 PM. Reason: sp.