HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Benelli Nova setup help!!!
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2020, 08:41 AM
CalHunter
Super Moderator

That is some wise advice. I will freely admit that I'm addicted to turkey hunting. Just like a lot of other people on here.

From what I've seen, most of the guys on here call in turkeys and often use toms. I know that's the prevalent method for turkey hunting and don't disparage or knock it. In some situations, it might be the only way a guy can get a shot at a turkey on a smaller piece of hunting property. I've turkey hunted in a blind, sitting in front of a tree with decoys while calling and my favorite, run and gun. I'm lucky in that I hunt on about a half square mile home ranch surrounded by other ranches with little to no hunting pressure other than coyotes, lions, etc. I've had luck with all of these hunting methods but have found run and gun is an absolute rush. Sometimes you get busted but those are learning experiences where you replay it in your head numerous times and then talk it over with your buddy to fine tune a stalk.

Most of my turkeys have been taken at 30 yards or less. There's a few longer ones I've taken at 50-60 yards. I rarely miss and it's always 1-shot. I was happy with lead and then CA outlawed lead. I tried steel and absolutely hated it. Admittedly, I didn't try different chokes and didn't pattern it. I tried Hevishot and it was effective out to 50-60 yards. I was back to my 1-shot stops and that works for me. After this season, however, I decided to pattern my shotgun from 20- 60 yards and was disappointed in the patterns. A few pellets at each yardage were kill shots and would have worked but none of them had those nice big patterns like you see in people's posts, etc.

I started researching and reading blogs, reviews, articles, HuntingNet posts, etc. Other people have fine tuned their shotguns to get better performance so I know it's possible. Now it's just a challenge. Like putting a different scope on my coyote rifle and hand lapping it for that nth degree of extra fit and performance. I don't need those 70-100 yard shots some people brag about with TSS although I'm still going to try TSS because their patterns look amazing. I'm still going to sneak up on the toms and try to get within 30 yards for a shot because it's the toms (usually there's more than 1 in a group) skill against mine and it's so much fun. I'll try different equipment on my Benelli Nova because I am a gear junky and it's fun to see how much I can improve the platform. When I saw the title of this topic, I read all of the posts and was wishing for more because I'm working out similar things with my Nova.

For the OP, post away and ask all the questions you want. There's a lot of experience, expertise, knowledge and wisdom in this forum. Hopefully all of the responses are getting you thinking about other things to try and do because that's half the fun. Good luck on figuring our your patterning and let us know how the patterning works and also your hunts.