HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Benelli Nova setup help!!!
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2020, 05:12 AM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

I know a lot of very die hard turkey hunters that spend a LOT of money on special made ammo and custom chokes using 3.5 inch 12 ga. or some using 10 gauges, to get MAX range and patterns
I can understand getting caught up in things and feeling a desire to MAX all one can
but to be honest, again, I never had any problems killing a turkey with a plain Jane stock choke and calling them in to under 40 yards
YES some birds will hang up and some will never come closer, but to me that's just hunting, and allowed me more chances to be outdoors and learn more about turkey and hunting them

so, I again am just saying, its not really needed to go over board here, unless you just want to play more than hunt
as you will use up a lot of money on ammo, and choke combo's trying to find a perfect pattern at LONG range, and then your having very small patterns at closer ranges, increasing your odds at missing a bird in close?
this is where them guys above get into having very good optic's on there shotguns, to be very precise in aiming up close(more $$ to the game LOL)

as really, in hunting its normally a 1 shot deal on a turkey
so all that money spent on ammo, chokes, optic's mounts, time at ranges, (some of the 3.5's recoil too LOL)
shoulder pains
to gain an extra +++% of hits in a circle, and gain them extra yards
ME< I just learned to call better and set up better, and if need be, go home some days without one and , get to come back again till one comes in closer(for me that's under 40 yards and my gun shoots nice pattern at 50 and still don;t go there, NO bash here, just giving my 2 cents)
and I won't even go into teh costs my friends have spent on decoys and HOW many of them they have now, as better one's come out and they HAVE to HAVE one or 2 every spring

Good thing they have good jobs and make lots of $$$ to buy all this stuff, Turkeys at local grocery store were like 0.59 cents a lb when I was there last < HAHA!
they could buy a whole life time of supply of store bought turkey' , for what they spent on decoys I know that , HAHA!
OH< how hobbies get crazy some times, , and how us hunters are such suckers for marketing of things to try! (and I am more than guilty of spending $$ on things this way too over my yrs)

and I also, didn;t even mention the cost of ALL the different guns they have tried , trying to find best what they have every pother yr!
some turkey hunters get WAY deep in the game !
all over a little feathered bird that talks to them SOME times,.~~! Haha !!