HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Maine bird down.
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2020, 05:21 PM
Phil from Maine
Boone & Crockett

I let a young tom walk away this morning. I would guess between 16 to 17 pounds. I had worked last night and decided to try hunting for a little while. I was planning on driving a little over an hour away when I saw they had opened up a section of gated roads. So I drove up the dirt road instead. I got up to where I was planning on turning around and I see a tom run across the road. So I stopped and got out and put a shell in. As I closed the breach I hear him gobble. I couldn’t believe it as that was the first gobble that I have heard out hunting. He was down an embankment by a lake. That embankment is steep and around 50 feet down. So for the heck of it I make a couple of clucking sounds. Then I hear him gobble a couple of more times and was coming closer. So I just stood there and waited. He came right back up on that dirt road again around 25 yards of me. It was then that I realized that he wasn’t all that big and hunting season goes on here until June 6. So I let him walk away. I know that I am going to wonder if I see another bird again but I already have a nice bird anyway..