HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Indiana bird down
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2020, 11:57 AM
Bucknwfl
Spike

Default Kelly

[QUOTE=kellyguinn;4375038]Been busting my but here in Oklahoma public land with only a few jakes showing up. The population has taken a huge hit from droughts and wild fires the last 4 years. Our first decent hatch was this past year so hopefully it will pick back up in a year or 2. Walked well over 50 miles this season here. As luck would have it a buddy invited me to Indiana to try my luck on property he has permission to hunt and they have never turkey hunted it. I packed up and made the 11 hour drive Thursday. Friday morning we just went in to a blind he had set up without roosting any birds and by 7:15 am I had this guy flopping. Not use to hunting open corn fields so kind of miss judged the distance but the 20g with #9 tss did the job at just under 50 yards! The bird had 11" beard, 1 3/16 spurs and weighed 22 lbs but what got me is how thick the spurs are. They are almost twice as wide as any other bird I have taken. Is this an indicator of age?

I was also able to take a first time turkey hunter out the next morning and was lucky enough to get him on a good bird. We had a hen come right into out decoys as 25 yards and stay there for an hour while the tom that was with her pushed some jakes 800 yrds away before making his way back. He got to hear just about every vocalization that a hen makes while she was there which was awesome. I used his phone to video some the shot and here is the link.
[/QUOTE

nice bird Kelly. I hope Florida turns out as productive next year

thanks
buck]