HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Remington Cor-Loct vs. Hornady SST
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2020, 12:59 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

I usually would shun necroposting and abstain from responding, but there are a few objective claims I can’t help but question.

Originally Posted by JMoody85
If you're looking at 100-300 yards the SSTs will outperform the Core-lokts every time considering that Hornady uses a more accurate projectile mixed with more consistent and higher quality powder loads.
Do you have reference for these statements? I’m exceptionally intrigued to read a evidence which confirms these two claims - stating 1) Remington uses objectively lower quality powder than Hornady in their factory ammo, and 2) Hornady loads the SST product lines to an objectively higher consistency than Remington. Naturally, this second statement could be a consistency in powder composition, such I expect gas chromatograms would be required as evidence, or it could be considered a consistency of powder charge weight, which would require a simple statistical analysis of large batches of ammo. Of course, neither would prove an increased consistency in burn rate or efficacy in real-world rifles, as a highly consistent charge weight loaded at an anti-node for a barrel mag not shot as well as a relatively variable charge weight lot which is matched to the node.

Originally Posted by JMoody85
Furthermore, on those longer range shots the lead spire point on the Core-lokts will deform and degrade the performance at a much faster rate than the polymer tips of the SSTs.
This part is patently false. Lead has a higher melting point than most injection molding polymers, such as those included in the SST tips. The ELD’s will rival or reportedly exceed the thermal tolerance of lead, but the SST’s don’t use the Heat Shield(TM) tips used in the ELD lines. The ELD line was created to help close a gap which had existed for Hornady - their most consistent, highest BC product lines were losing aerodynamic advantage at long range, such they were losing out to conventional cup and core BTHP’s. So they developed the ELD Heat Shield tip (and now the A-Tips) to jump them back up into the game. Hornady even acknowledges in their FAQ section that the SST is meant for 0-400yrd hunting, such it doesn’t earn the Heat Shield tips.

But I’m earnestly on the edge of my seat to hear substantiating evidence that Hornady uses higher quality and higher consistency powders. Such evidence could be a stake in the heart of one of Remington’s few surviving business units, although I don’t expect it would bolster Hornady’s already favorable market share.