HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Expensive Broadheads?
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2020, 06:01 AM
Nuggets
Spike

Bronko22000, well, smaller game really. I've always had the outlook, that if I ever killed something, it was either trying to kill me, or I was going to eat it. I want to go hunting for the sense of freedom, but I don't quite get the 'big' or the 'fun' aspect? I don't want to get into an argument with anyone, as each to their own but the 'fun' for me would be outside, being outside, seeing and just living it. The social aspect, and of course the unsocial aspect. Periods of calm, and periods of noise. I don't get the large head on the wall thing. So in answer, deer or game of that size. I will say that initially, before I started reading up on the internet (which I take with a pinch of salt sometimes), I did have the thought that it was stopping power, and pass through did not really occur to me, although I understand why this is important. Likely this initial outlook was due to me seeing crossbows, and bows and arrows being used in the movies. I'd even heard in the past, that a bolt could break up on entry to maximise force and damage on the target. I think that came from The Wild Geese film? Which is why I came here to get a good reference point. I will look at that brand you mention, as initially I looked towards the more expensive, mainly due to lightness and pack down portability. Over this side of the pond, I would be foolish to travel to a target shooting location with a 'T' shaped bag on my back.

Lemoyne, I didn't know that a lot was done from tree stands, although I was aware of that type of hunting. I totally get what you say.

mrbb, yes, I can well believe there are a fair few bolts out there from misses, and more than a couple from people accidentally firing them off in all directions. It happens with firearms, so I'm sure it happens with crossbows.