HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Youth deer rifle choice
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2020, 06:05 AM
flyinlowe
Typical Buck

I know this thread is an old one but time for an update. This past Christmas I ended up getting my son a CVA Hunter single shot in .44 mag. I topped it with a Vortex scope. With the quarantine he got to start shooting this week. Since it was really his first time shooting I started off with .44 specials just so he didn't get scared of it. I shot about 5 rounds to get the scope on paper and was immediately impressed with the rifle. I just had it set up at 50 yards but the first 5 shots I took were all touching. After I knew it was close I let him fire. Call it beginners luck but his first two round ever fired could be covered with a quarter. From 50 yards I thought he missed the 2nd time. He went through 50 rounds on multiple targets and was holding a 2 inch group or so, which for a 10 year old, first time shooting I was proud of him. Sometime this summer Ill bump him up to the mags from the specials and get him dialed in for season. I was hoping to get a couple wood elevated blinds built this spring but between the weather we have had and the travel restrictions I haven't been able to. Hopefully soon.