HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is this a bad time to be looking for a mentor
Old 04-16-2020, 12:51 PM
Kneller
Spike

Question Is this a bad time to be looking for a mentor

Near the end of last year, I hit the big 4-0 and decided that my decade b-day present to myself was going to be to finally learn to hunt. I've been interested for a while, but never got off my butt to do anything about it. I've been researching and learning independently for a while now, just to see if I would maintain the interest and get some basic knowledge under my belt. My plan was to wait until spring hit to start looking for a mentor (I'm not originally from this area and don't know any hunters currently) so that by the time the next season hits, I should be good to try my hand at it. I figured the spring time is when hunters are doing all the scouting, tree stand maintenance, and other grunt work to prep for the season, so working with a mentor starting then would help me develop a stronger foundation for the actual season.

However, with everything being shut down (I'm in SE Penn.), I can't start networking at my local sporting goods store. I can't take hunter safety in person and meet people there. All I would be able to do is post around here or reddit seeking a mentor in my area. Though, I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in mentoring at this time with everything going on.

Granted, I could just wait for all this to pass, but I think that I've reached the limits to what I can do with my youtube/internet-based research and now I'm just sitting around wasting time. Is it worth trying to find a mentor at this time, or is there anything I can be doing on my own this time that's constructive? Thanks!