HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - O DISC + Blue Tape & Results
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2020, 03:50 PM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Default O DISC + Blue Tape & Results

This morning I was able to get to the Dinger Farm. My goals were to sight in a OLD Original DISC 50, but new to me. I purchased this rifle because of its larger bore - right at .503-.504. With this rifle I can shoot a Lehigh 50x270 Sabotless bullet that Lehigh made several years ago. I have used it before in a White White Lightening and a older Knight Wolverine. I sold the Wolverine to move up to this DISC. The bullet shot well from the previous rifles so I was confident that it would shoot well from this O DISC.

The other goal was to gain more information about the BP being wrapped with Blue Monster Teflon tape. I started using this tape a few months ago and have been impressed with the way it has worked for me. I put up a post a few days back and the post created some questions which i think I have discovered some answers.

As mentioned it was a sight in project - which quickly turned into a recreational shooting trip. In all I took 15 shots shot shooting 120 grains of T7-2F ignited by a CCI #11 Mag cap. I normally use the RWS Dynamit Nobel 1075 cap, but the CCI caps a much less expensive.

Started out placing 3 clays and a Target at 50 yards. I took the first shot at a clay which I missed then 5 shots at the target with sight adjustments. After that back to shooting clays. The 3 clays went quickly. From their the recreational shooting began I placed birds at 75 and 100 yards and worked my way through them. It was really fun to crush them. Then the winds and rain came!

When i got home I began the cleaning routine. Barrel/bore cleaning is really a quick thing for me. It has worked very well for several years now. This pictures shows the simple things I do.

From there I moved to the breech area, and as all of you know when shooting caps the breech really does get dirty! I have developed a cleaning routine that works well for me and is really easy.

When I removed the nipple and then the breech plug I again was surprised how easy the plug came out. If you look at the plug I think you can see how well the nose seal was by how basically clean the BP is. When I took the plug out not tape came with it and that was my next surprise when I ran my first Windex patch into the breech threads I was surprised when I pulled back and out came the tape. It was not burned or melted at all. Of course I couldn't use it over but heck the tape was still soft and pliable.

I will add this group of pictures trying to show the results. I hope they make sense to you and possibly generate some questions