HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Idaho Coyote Hunting.
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2020, 07:50 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

If you become a typical coyote hunter, taking a dozen or so dogs per year, your means of sale will be green pelts for a fur buyer. You could expect somewhere around $35 this year, which is relatively high compared to most recent years. Some years we’ve seen $15-20, the best years we see $40-45. The only time I have gotten over $50 in the last 15yrs has been with bounties or when I had some really big pales, and I cleaned out the feet and claws with the pelt. Going clear to “put up hides” will increase your value, but it also significantly increases your costs, and especially increases your labor. In general, most newbies find they end up significantly in the red when they run their balance sheets for a season. It’s a small payback against an entertaining diversion, but it’s very easy to have $35 wrapped up into costs going into each hide. That’s before you calculate any labor value. Coyote hunting is a worthwhile pursuit in terms of depredation prevention, and if you are hunting, then it’s responsible to make maximal use of the animal, but hunting alone is rarely a money making endeavor.