HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Any One Catching Crappies ?
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2020, 12:14 PM
Champlain Islander
Dominant Buck

I normally use chartreuse but have found plain unpainted work well in the fall. I use the unpainted all spring on perch and ran out of the chartreuse jigs and started with the unpainted with the bobby garland and the fish liked them too. The fish really are attracted to the rubber not the jig. Crappie are eating machines so anything that looks like food properly fished will usually work. people around here were all under the impression that only minnows work but I showed them otherwise. They go through a cup of minnows and spend 10 bucks and I buy an 18 pack of bobby garland for 3 bucks and change and they last a couple weeks. If you rig them right one bait will normally last for a dozen or more fish. I have had days when I limited with one or two baits. Normally I go through 3 to 5 on a trip counting the ones I hang up on bottom. Crappie love the color pink so a pink jig or one of the pink colors on the rubber will work. When I fish early season before the spawn I often use a bobber with 1 1/2" tubes in either red and white or pink and white on 1/32 oz jigs.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 03-17-2020 at 12:17 PM.