HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need tips on hunting a specific group of turkeys.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:20 AM
Ethanb2141
Spike

Originally Posted by Wingbone
In a full moon they can see you coming if you are in the open. It may take a couple of days. Get as close as possible, listen for gobbling and determine which way they go after flydown. The next day, be on that path. One of the cardinal rules of turkey hunting is "It's easier to call in a turkey if he's going there anyway."
Wednesday I found out a lot more about the area, and it’s also incredibly pressured which caught me off guard. I have two gobblers (given that they are still alive) in a specific tree, but it’s loaded with other hunters, I know the birds are moving north after flying down, and north of the trees is even more loaded with other hunters, but while driving out I had 4 birds going along the trail. They were on the right side of the trail and got spooked by my car and took off across the trail, flew over the canal next to me on my left, and disappeared. One of them was a long beard. I don’t know why they were so close to the trail when it was literally 10 minutes til sunset so is it possible they’re roosted on the other side of the canal where they flew to or did I just spook them into crossing. I just don’t think they’d be roosted so close to a busy trail so I think it’s a viable option to try to hunt the long beard but I don’t wanna deviate from my original plan to chase a Tom that I don’t know where he’s roosting. Basically will turkeys cross canals after coming off the roost on their own I always hear people saying they hate to fly.