HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Preserving Antlers and Turkey Fans
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2020, 05:31 AM
jnicholes
Fork Horn

Default Preserving Antlers and Turkey Fans

Hello,

So, I have a question for the hunters here. I have 2 turkey fans, one set of 2x2 white tail deer antlers, and one set of 2x3 mule deer antlers. These are my trophies. I also have a skunk hide from a skunk I shot. (They are predatory unprotected in Idaho.)

Funny story about how I got the skunk hide, but thats not what I am posting.

I am posting to look for advice about preserving the turkey fans and how to mount the antlers, (There is no skull,) on a wall.

Ill start with the turkey fans. When I shot the turkeys many years ago, (One Jake and one Tom,) I cut off the tails before processing them to keep them as trophies. I used a borax/salt solution to put the tails in and I let them sit for 3 weeks. They are still pretty well preserved, but there is a problem. Not to sound gross, but sometimes they leak liquid slightly. I dont know if I did something wrong or not when preparing the fans.

I want to fix this, but I need advice on how to fix it. Anyone know where I went wrong? How do I fix it?

Second, the antlers from my deer hunts. Its just the antlers, and I am struggling to figure out how to put them on the wall. Anybody got any ideas how to do this?

Any help will be appreciated,

Jared