HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do deer eat pumpkins?
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 05:47 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

well I think like everything, EACH deer has something they like better
I have seen deer in winter time walk past corn to get to pumpkins (used to dump 2 tons or so at a time of unsold ones as they would go bad, in totes!)

one farm I helped manage, grew potato's(actually sold to Wise potato chop company)
first yr we planted then and harvested them we found out
the buyer ONLY took potato's of one size, anything larger or smaller they refused
so, used to get about 50+ ton of potato's at harvest time they refused, and would dump them in the back of the property
deer would pick at them now and then, but mostly wouldn;t go near em, same with bear's and other critters

we were rather disappointed and worried, as , as time went by, they all started to turn black and get pretty darn funky in smelling really bad
come about the following May/June, the smell got crazy nasty, and we were debating digging a hole and burying them
BUT when they got SO ripe in funk smelling, the bears started showing up in large numbers, some times see 6-8 of them at a time on the piles>
had some HUIGE bears on that farm that fall! LOL

next planting, we had a buyer lined up to take the one the other buyer didn;t want

SO< as for deer eating potato's

MY experience is NOT really, and this farm was over run with deer, seeing a 100+ at a time in fields was normal!

but again, some place else, maybe deer do leat em,
I know they eat em when there growing, more the plant than the potato though!

and by early July, the whole pile was GONE< from the bears!