HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Henry Long Ranger
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2020, 05:09 AM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
There are more Marlin 336 rifles out there without the crossbolt safety than with them. I prefer the lever actions without that cross bolt safety since I grew up without it and I am content to put my rifle on half cock for the safety. That crossbolt safety cost me a deer the first and last time I ever used it. I was using my Marlin Guide gun in 45-70 and I had a big doe at 20 yards broadside in front of me, I had a perfect sight picture and squeezed off a shot. A very loud clank was all that I heard, and the doe kicked in the after burners and was gone. Fortunately, 15 minutes later a bigger doe came strolling buy and I took her. I never engaged the crossbolt safety again. It is not necessary and is over kill.
Oldtimr, I have 2 of those Guide Guns and I'm also a lefty. I never use the cross bolt safety on either except when loading it and at the bench. And the only reason I use it during loading is just for the added safety factor.
But to all that don't know, the Henry Longranger is their new model that looks very similar to the Browning BLR. And it has no crossbolt safety. The only "safety" which is not a real safety is the 1/2 cock position. But it also incorporates a transfer bar system where the hammer cannot strike the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled fully rearward.