HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Headspacing a Knight Breech Plug
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2020, 05:38 AM
Idaholewis
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Breechplug
As always you got me on that one, I should have known better myself that Primers are all different but I wasn't thinking. A Good Fix and Nice Video's on explaining the process.
It REALLY is a shame these primer Companies are not tighter on their Tolerances, But fact is they are not intended for what we are using them for, So we simply have to deal with it! The Best way is to Measure and Sort them. I found Variances in My Win 209 Primers ranging from .296 to .301, the .296-.299s were PERFECT in my Rifle, But i had to be Careful with the the .300-.301s, They created A Little to much “Crush” they would get “Sticky” to Extract. I almost packed up went home over this a Couple of Different Outings, I didn’t think i was gonna get the Primers out? This is when i decided to Measure and Sort all of my Primers. I had ZERO Problems after i Measured, and Sorted Primers.

With the Primer Variances, You can see how difficult it would be for Knight to Try and “Tighten” the Tolerance, It would end up being nightmare for them. It’s better for the Owner to Choose what primers he Wants to use? And Shim the Breech Plug accordingly. It would Sure be NICE if they Sent a Shim kit to Do the Job Though, instead of the New Owner of the Rifle having to Purchase them Separately