HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - cover scent
Thread: cover scent
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2020, 09:31 AM
rogerstv
Nontypical Buck

I've used a lot over the years. Seems a mature deer will focus on any scent that appears out of place. I want the area to smell neutral so the deer go about their business without being on edge or just curious about a scent they detect.

I no longer use cover scents while in the field. I prefer to be scent free to the highest possible practical extent. In my opinion, scent free toothpaste is unnecessary. If a deer is smelling my breath, they are in the tree with me.

I store my outer hunting clothes and boots on top of large round hay bales at the farm where I hunt for the weekend or several hunting days in a row. I dress while in the field. I wear my thermals under sweat pants in the vehicle then swap them for my outer gear and boots when I arrive at the farm. Switch back at the end of the hunt. Hunting clothes are transported in plastic tubs which have been washed. Hunting clothes even the sweats and socks are all washed in scent free detergent and dried outside. Take a scent free shower and dry with a scent free towel before every hunt. Use this and hunt the wind and you should be fine.