HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Turkey Feathers in the Freezer too long?
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2020, 10:49 PM
Wax Dragon
Spike

Default Turkey Feathers in the Freezer too long?

I wanted to to a Turkey fan mount of a turkey I shot a while ago and kind of forgot about. Anyway, long story short the feathers had been sitting in a freezer in the garage for years. I got it out, thawed it out, cut any excess meat at the base, cut the tailbone. I scrapped off the oil glands, and split the pins apart to remove grease/wax/fat that sits between all the pins and doused it all in borax. What I'm getting at is I think I've done most everything to get this fan mount ready. My problem is since this has been in the freezer so long the feathers won't spread out for a fan, They are essentially all stuck in a vertical position. Trying to fan them out pretty much almost causes me to bend or break the pins in the feathers. Any clues on how to proceed further to get this to fan out? Is it a lost cause, or perhaps I'll have to go to a taxidermist to get this done now? Any tips, or ideas are greatly appreciated.

WD