HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How to get rid of gamey taste in deer
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2019, 02:02 AM
archeryrob
Fork Horn

Some people don't like bloody meat. I don't like tough meat. I will eat meat from well done (if not over cooked, but many times this can be) to medium rare. I prefer medium as it is a mix of both and never have to worry about it being over cooked.

My daughter uses the temp probe to cook back straps and sets it for 135 and pulls it then. It rests for 5 minutes off the grill and raises to 140 and time to eat!!

If you are worried about bacteria this chart list how long a given temperature takes to have a 10 million times reduction in bacteria when cooking. For the long winded description you can read that all here. Remember, The outside of a roast or steak where only the bacteria could be will be a lot higher than the internal temperature will be.

Gameyness is either from improper care or improper butchering. Not cooled quickly is a problem and not removing deer fat when butchering. Now, if you are looking for corn feed taste, you need to hunt at the supermarket and not the woods. Wild animals will not taste the same as store bought or farm raised.
Attached Images  

Last edited by archeryrob; 12-19-2019 at 02:08 AM.