HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Beginning to squirrel hunt
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2019, 05:13 PM
fdbeast71
Spike

Originally Posted by Messer73
Hey all... Unfortunately as a kid I told my dad and uncles I had no interest in hunting and never went. Now that I’ve raised my family my wife and I want to hunt.

Here is the deal... I’m picking up a 22 rifle for her but we need 2 guns to hunt together. Since I’ve started shooting clays with folks at work, I need a shotgun. I have read that you can hunt squirrel and rabbit with shotguns.

Question is do any of you use a shotgun for these hunts and will a 12 gauge (what all my clay shooting buddies have) be unrealistic for such small game.

Sorry for the length but wanted to paint the picture for you.

you cant go wrong with a scoped 22 or 17 but I’ve used shotguns quite a bit as well but there are pros and cons to both. With a 22 you can take them with head shots and have increased distance, and you’ll never have to worry about biting down on a piece of shot. A shotgun is better for thick brush and if they are moving around you have a lot better chance of hitting them. Ive used everything from 410-12 with full choke and number 6 shot. It all comes down to personal preference and the area your hunting. Try different types of firearms and see what works best for you.