HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Firearm for Rabbit Hunting
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2019, 05:20 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Again- where do you draw the line on what it's ok for somebody else to hunt with? If it's legal-it's legal. I've used options on both sides of the spectrum successfully for deer. And will continue to.

You're logic is exactly the same logic that libs use to try to justify gun control. An ar15 has more chance of doing more damage than a single shot 20 gauge. And since somebody somewhere may make a bad decision- we shouldn't allow ARs at all.

See how that works? It's the exact same reasoning. And I don't accept it.

So where do you draw the line on deciding what someone else should use? Again... Should anything larger than a .30-30 be allowed for deer? Because every point you made applies to that scenario. Anything bigger is overkill, has a higher risk of an "accident" and risks ruining meat.

I'm not going to use a .30-30 for rabbit. At least not any time soon. But could some one else? Absolutely.

-Jake
again I will disagree with you and YOUR logic, trying to says its mine

I am not trying to compare things to gun control and a AR being more deadly due to it holds more rounds!
that is nothing to do with this, or even a very comparable comparison

the difference is again, in HOW far the projectile can travel is my point
you want to debat if a 30/30 should be max, over larger calibers on deer
NO, again, NOT even the same league again, a deer is a BIG game animal not SMALL game
most all 30 cal rifle calibers are fairly close in power and speeds
BUt comparing a 308-30/30 to say a .22 rim fire, is a HUGE difference
in speed, and power and well, distance the bullet is capable to travel
which again brings me back to why they use lower risk weapons when hunting in more urban area/with less back stops and more people about!
due to the calibers they allow are less likely to travel
you can try and tell me a BAD hunter making BAD decisions will be the same with either type of rifle(22-308)
and yes and no is that answer
there both capable of killing for sure

so recommending a 30/30 or a 308 for small game is NOT a very good suggestion, like iot or not its a fact, based again on the balistics of the calibers, one will go farther and capable of doing mroe dmage period!
1 round in gun or 100, I don;t care, its CALIBER
and again why many places DO have legal size on weapons allowed to be used, in BOTH directions, larger and smaller calibers rules!

we BOTH agreed already it can be done and done safely if all things go right!
but again, the larger population of hunters are NOT gun experts, or shooting experts
so, IMO again, it wouldn;t be a smart caliber to be hunting rabbits with for the AVERAGE hunter!

its also a FACT, a 12 gauge with bird shot will NOT travel as far as any rifle you listed, and will loose energy FAST,m
so stating it will ruin a rabbit is NOT a fact nor even true, pending where and HOW its shot!
velocity and energy can make a huge difference in how and what damage is done to something shot!

and I do hope your taking this as a friendly conversation and no disrespect meant here, as that is how I mean this!!
as well as I hope anyone reading this learns some things and not just taking it as a arguments here! as I am not taking it or meaning it that way at all!