HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - One for the record books
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2019, 05:04 PM
sconnyhunter
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ultradog MN
But not in a good way.
Our rifle season ended yesterdady. We have two weeks with 3 weekends.
I sat in my blind from sunup to sundown all three weekends plus a half day on 2 Fridays.
Except, yesterday morning I hunted off the deck of my sister's cabin and last night I hunted from my camper.
That's about 70 hours total.
I did not see a single deer this year. Not one!
The guy I hunt with put the same amount of time in but he saw half a dozen deer over the course of the season. All does and fawns though.
Finally yesterday he hunted at my cousin's field and got a big doe in the morning.
We have always gotten deer where we hunt. Almost always anyway. But we SEE deer every year. I don't know what happened this year but it was very odd to see NOTHING.
Oh well. We got one for two and...
It's only about 350 days till the 2020 opener.
What part of Zone 1 are you in? May I ask.

I hunt south of Grand Rapids, myself and we went 1 for 5 this year. But that's pretty good for us, given that we started out hunting EXCLUSIVELY public ground.
After we moved to some private land about 20 years ago. We started getting about 1 deer a year. Seeing maybe about 5 all year. Mostly because my dad refuses to leave the "farm". While I move around, all season long. I still hunt the farm, but I go to the local public land as well.

Deer MOVE AROUND.
That is what I have learned after 30 years of hunting.