HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Firearm for Rabbit Hunting
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2019, 04:25 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I suppose your distance argument has some merit...sorta ... Maybe.... But not really

Everything bolded has nothing to do with the firearm choice. And is a problem with a pellet gun or a .50bmg.

So, yes... It's more of a problem with a more "powerful" rifle. But the rifle still ISN'T the problem. It just isn't.

And again: where do you draw the line? I can kill any deer on the planet with a .30-30. and I can apply literally every argument you just made to anything bigger than a .30-30. plus, there are lots more hunters in the woods during peak deer season days than there ever are for small game. So.... It must be wrong to use a .30-378 on deer. For every reason you just listed.

At this point you either have to agree that everything over a .30-30 is wrong for deer. Or admit that there has to be some wiggle room in your opinion on small game choices .....

-Jake
let me ask you this, as a honest question
WHY do you think they limit rifle caliber size, or type of gun used in many urban area's where populations are higher with humans and more houses and such?
there have been many studies done, and most show , things carry less as far thru game and less likely to hit a NON desired target
same reason many indoor shooting ranges have limits on size(yes there targets are ONLY designed to handle"X" size)
but that still shows the different in what it takes to stop larger faster more powerful bullets
I fully agree a gun is ONLY a tool but that brings it back to the right tool for the job being asked, NO reason to have over kill, you use a high power impact tool to tighten bolts, you stand a GOOD chance of snapping there heads off
or strip treads and so on
so, again,
I wouldn;t give a NEW shooter a 50BMG to learn to shoot with'
I wouldn't tell one to use one to shoot small game, EVNE thought IT can be done
I have shot MANY very small things with my 50 bmgs, from up close to far away
but I wasn;t using it to hunt with on small game, even though I could hit them!
even with low recoil rounds , hunting heads and so on, its WAY Over kill and can travel WAY pasty many targets, MAYBE a new be, wouldn;t think it would
and this is MY larger concern, MOST hunters are super avid shooters and experts on firearms and bullets
if you were honest, you would know that its honestly a smaller percentage of folks that take.MAKE the effort to become well versed on guns and bullets and shooting
the average guy shoots seldom,
so STATING< a 30/30 or a .308 is OK to be using to shoot rabbits, is just plain silly and IMO< leading to possible dangerous conditions for OTHERS or the shooter
all the more so if,a LESS than experienced reader reads the tread and thinks, WELL IT Was stated "X" it is OK to do so
we live in a very strange world anymore where most folks LEARN things, or THINK they are learning things by reading stuff online and NEVER verifying if its GOOD info or BAD
so I don't condone posting things of such
I couldn;t tell you how many things I heard shooters/hunters say in my gun shop over the yrs I had it, that was shocking, that they THINK they knew was OK
so, I maybe see tings from different side of things, based on HOW many folks I dealt with on a daily basis, and tried my best to correct so they would be safer for ALL