HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Firearm for Rabbit Hunting
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2019, 03:39 PM
Bocajnala
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mrbb
lets face it NOT all hunters are experts with guns, ammo, or safety!
excitement effects many in many ways, so judgement calls can happen in seconds and well, mistakes can be made
MOST have NO business shooting large caliber rifles at small game IMO and from ALL my yrs of experience

again, can it be done, and safely done, YES< I will not say it cannot,
but that doesn;t make it right in my eyes at all
nor should be recommend on forums, where , face it, idiots can read and think GREAT I don;t need a 22 my "x" CALIBER DEER RILE WILL WORK JUST FINE

I have had bullets shot near me, over me under me, around, me f, and even rained down on me
from accident's, folks that didn;t look past there targets in the field before
I suppose your distance argument has some merit...sorta ... Maybe.... But not really

Everything bolded has nothing to do with the firearm choice. And is a problem with a pellet gun or a .50bmg.

So, yes... It's more of a problem with a more "powerful" rifle. But the rifle still ISN'T the problem. It just isn't.

And again: where do you draw the line? I can kill any deer on the planet with a .30-30. and I can apply literally every argument you just made to anything bigger than a .30-30. plus, there are lots more hunters in the woods during peak deer season days than there ever are for small game. So.... It must be wrong to use a .30-378 on deer. For every reason you just listed.

At this point you either have to agree that everything over a .30-30 is wrong for deer. Or admit that there has to be some wiggle room in your opinion on small game choices .....

-Jake