HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Neck pain from rifle scope position
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2019, 06:32 AM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
I have never condoned the use of a recoil pad, or otherwise a stock spacer, to correct eye relief of an optic.

The Length of Pull (LOP) of a stock is a critical dimension to fit the rifle to the shorter for ergonomics, control, and recoil management. Adding an unnecessary stock spacer or recoil pad acting as a spacer increases the LOP - this might compromise the shooter’s cheek weld and wrist position, and increase felt recoil and decrease control over the rifle by causing a poor fit. Rifles, rails, rings, and optics are designed to allow for the optic to be positioned appropriately in front of the shooter’s eye when the stock is properly fit to the shoulder and the cheek weld properly made on the stock. If you’re straining to get your head back far enough, I’d guess you’re at least an inch too close in your natural position, likely 2” behind where your cheek weld SHOULD be when cheeking the rifle. Adding that much pad instead of correcting with rings would put a standard 10/22 at 15.5” LOP, which, for a point in space, would be 2 1/4” too long for me, a shooter with a 6’1” wingspan.

It’s a bandaid fix at best. Arm wrestling with yourself about spending $30 for a slip on recoil pad which doesn’t fix the actual problem instead of spending the same $30 for offset rings which DO fix the actual problem doesn’t make sense to me.
well I can agree, but at same time, since we don;t know how the rifle fits the OP or not, and having such longer frame/possible arms and needing a longer length of pull, maybe the thicker recoil pad would make the gun fit him better
its a double edged sword here, since we are NOT him

as, you stated, most folks can use a standard 10/22 with its OEM set up, but this also is a fact,
that most folks can use a scope with basic rings without need of reverse rings! to be usable!

Might end up being a combination of Both here to get things to fit best to be honest!
since the OP is not a real big gun guy, he maybe should go to a gun shop that has other rifles with scopes on them and see how they fit, as most LOP on rifles is close to the same from make to make(NOT ALL) as is eye relief on scopes(again NOT all are the same, but most are close when comparing like models and 3x9x40's are very common scopes)

if he finds they all need him to hold a few inches off his shoulder to work, then
maybe a good shop can also see what his form is like and make a suggestion based on him actually being in front of them, , where as here , were all guessing at what the true issue is,
is it form, is it rings, or is length of pull wrong, or all 3?

rather than just buying items, might be again better off going to a good gun shop and seeing what they say, and trying other rifles with scopes and see if there is a difference or not?

Last edited by mrbb; 11-16-2019 at 06:35 AM.