HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How do you sharpen your knife in the field?
Old 11-05-2019, 03:30 PM
Jack Ryan
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mcw3734
Or at home for that matter?

So for now I carry two trapper knives while backpacking for deer/elk. Gives me 4 blades to work with. But I’m curious if anybody out there has found a quality lightweight sharpener to pack in the field. To be honest, the only method I’m familiar with is with stones. Which are too bulky & time consuming to carry in the pack, IMO. And while they work, there has got to be something quicker and more convenient? I see the cheap cross-stick thingies, the stuff you see on infomercials, do they work? Are there more expensive modes that do?

If there was a lightweight tool to use in the field that did even a decent job of sharpening a knife, I could leave other blades at home. Every ounce counts.

Anyway, all feedback appreciated. Thank you.
A knife steel, stone, and lansky crock sticks. Sometimes with just one of those and other times I've used 'em all.

I start with a good knife and sharpen it at home. Then it don't need sharpened every time you cut something. It isn't the tool that does a good job, it is the operator and they have skill or they don't.