HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Gotta love the .308 cartridge!!
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2019, 10:37 AM
Memtb2149
Spike

Originally Posted by Cub Slayer
It's also an "acquired cost" as I understand it. I typically see CoreLokts running about $4 each. What do you shoot with your .338 Win Mag?

The .338 Federal is, in my opinion, an almost perfect New England bear cartridge. Big hole, lots of power, respectable range, and tolerable recoil. The only thing the .308 has going for it over the .338 is its popularity.

My answer is one coming from a hand loader. Except when I was a teenager, collecting brass to reload for my .308 Win.....I’ve never bought factory loaded ammunition (other than handgun defense ammo)!

It’s my wife’s .338 WM! She uses it for everything, from deer/antelope up to moose. If and when we win the lottery....she’ll use it in Africa. We’re running Barnes 225 grain TTSX’s @2950 fps. However, as a handloader, you can load it down to the point of the bullet failing to exit the barrel. It’s one of the most versatile, all around cartridges you can get! Yes, it recoils a bit more than many cartridges.....but, it is “very” effective on game! I don’t think that you’ll struggle with the extra 3/8” or so of action length! memtb