HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Cwd cya
Thread: Cwd cya
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2019, 07:43 AM
blksn8k
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
What that is , is a CYA from the labs that do the testing. The CDC has said that while no one has contracted CWD to their knowledge but they will not endorse eating the meat from a positive tested deer. No one can give a 100% guarantee that you cannot contract the disease because they still don't know that much about it other than it is one of the diseases caused by prions. You should be glad the PGC is doing free testing, a disclaimer like that is not unusual. If you get vaccinated for various diseases you will not find a Dr. who will give you a guarantee you will not contract the disease. I suggest you read the information regarding CWD on the PGC website.
Been there done all that. As both a hunter and a property owner within DMA 3 I am extremely concerned about the future of deer hunting in PA and this CYA statement does absolutely nothing to ease my concerns about not only hunting but also consuming the deer that I am fortunate enough to harvest. My processor stated that my deer looked extremely healthy to him but he has an obvious agenda as well. Fewer deer hunters means his business suffers too. Researchers also point out that even though a deer may appear healthy it can take years for CWD symptoms to show up. I have been hunting for well over fifty years and at my age I guess I just accept the fact that your gonna die from something and I like venison. However, I usually give some of my harvest to friends and relatives but that probably won't happen anymore.

In your response you stated: "The CDC has said that while no one has contracted CWD to their knowledge but they will not endorse eating the meat from a positive tested deer." That is exactly one of the reasons why I had my deer tested but the letter I received was nonsense because it does not confirm anything, positive or negative.