HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Gotta love the .308 cartridge!!
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2019, 12:34 PM
Cub Slayer
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ButchA
I've seen those lighted reticle scopes, and they are really cool looking for real dark dusk conditions. I'm primarily a deer hunter and never went after bear. I don't think I could shoot a bear (too cute & cuddly, like a teddy bear... LOL...) but then again, if one were to come AFTER ME, then obviously I'm taking action!

It's just great to see that the .308 cartridge is still the most widely accepted, universal, "do it all", type of round out there. Military snipers, home defense, target shooting, game taking, etc... and I've heard that it is among the most easiest to reload too.
There's a bit of humor behind why I hunt bears. When the stock market tanked in 2008/2009, we looked for an alternate place to put our money, so we started buying land. When we had some, the wife said "Why not take up hunting?" I always wanted to do it, but having my own hunting grounds was an excellent kick start. Then she said "But I don't like venison, so hunt bears". I thought "Sure".

I'm not a bowhunter (yet), so the "rifle any time" nature of bear hunting (here anyway) also added to the appeal. I'll eat venison, but I too think bear tastes better.

There is also the simple fact that I suck at hunting. Up here, I think its easier to hunt bears than deer. My own record somewhat backs this up - I have taken six bears and one buck since 2014, and I hunt the entire rifle deer season every year. (A bit dishonest here, since some bears came from bear camp - I don't go to deer camp).