HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Who’s Got The Best Ice Auger?
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2019, 05:16 AM
Champlain Islander
Dominant Buck

I am a commercial pan fisherman both summer and winter. My auger of choice was a 6" Nils powered by a Tanaka gas engine. Lots of power and could accommodate a Nils 8" auger for game fish. A few years ago I could see a few of the regulars changing out to cordless DC powered augers. There were some commercial units out there like ION but most of the guys went with top quality cordless drills turning one of the high end augers. I use a 20V Dewalt 995 drill and have a 16" machined SS connector which screws into the threaded shaft that the chuck screws into (have to remove the chuck). The other end of that connector is the same as the handle on a 6" Finbore hand auger and is attached to the auger with a threaded thumb screw that came with the auger. The batteries are 4AH and a single battery can drill well over 75 six inch holes in 20" of hard ice. I carry a spare battery if I think I might drill more than 75 holes but that seldom happens. The unit is very light in weight and is very powerful. I use the side handle on the drill to keep the torque under control. Most of the commercial guys now have a similar setup.