HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting thick cover.
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2019, 08:45 AM
hardcastonly
Super Moderator

now Id be the first guy in line to point out that for the vast majority of hunters this will not be as effective as a decent carbine in your favorite caliber,
but if your willing to put the time and effort into the mandatory and required practice,
you might find still hunting with a heavier caliber revolver adds a bit to your sense of accomplishment, and once mastered its noticeably, if only marginally easier to quietly stalk game

keep in mind both archery and revolvers kill due too having the ability of punching holes in vital organs and tissue destruction,
not due to the energy levels, an archery broad-head thrown from most bows will have less than 100 ft lbs of energy,
but it can slice through and exit an elks chest destroying vital organs as it zips through, a handgun like a 44 mag will not have even 1/2 the energy or velocity that the typical 308 win or 270 win deer rifle has,
yet it can also punch through both sides of an elks chest and exit destroying vital organs as it passes through.
its up to the hunter to know his games anatomy and have the skills developed through constant practice to use his chosen weapon effectively
IF YOU DOUBT A HANDGUN CAN BE EFFECTIVE WATCH THIS VIDEO

and yes thats a 44 mag with 300 grain bullets, not a larger caliber, as always shot placement is critical and a 44 properly loaded has plenty of power
don,t get mesmerized by claims of high velocity from custom ammo or handloads, listed on the internet, the load below has killed several elk, and a truck load of deer and hogs over decades.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...ld-c430-310-rf
Ive loaded a hard cast 300-310 grain lyman or LEE gas check bullet over 20-21 grains of H110 powder in my 44 mag for decades , (start with 19 grains and work up a 1/2 grain at a time ) it shoots clear thru most hogs and deer exiting and still going strong so be aware you don,t want to shoot a deer with a second deer directly behind the first.http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...u=000152660650
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...ld-c430-310-rf
Ive found 20 grains of h110 under this 300 grain lyman bullet (cast from 5% pure tin and 95% wheel weights)is a good combo, in my 44 revolvers, it consistently shoots clear thru deer and hogs.

while I can tell you from experience that theres a noticeable difference in the reaction of deer and hogs that were shot in similar vital areas,with a good 357 mag hand load and a similar 44 mag revolver and hand loads BOTH are 100% lethal in the hands of a decent shot when loaded with fairly heavy for caliber hard cast bullets and a 357 mag loaded with 158-170-180 grain hard cast gas-check bullets does a decent job on game if you know anatomy and can place shots accurately, look closely at the hand load data and believe me when I say that with the proper hand loads you could effectively use a 6"-8"10" barrel 357 mag revolver to kill even ELK at ranges under 100 yards with a good hard cast bullet pushed to 1350 -1450 plus fps
(where the law allows the calibers use)
suggested bullet weights
357 mag= 158 grain-180 grain
41 mag= 220 grain-250 grain
44 mag= 270 grain-320 grain
45 caliber -300 grain-350 grain
480 caliber 350 grain-400 grain
50 caliber 400 grain-480 grain
don,t think a 357 mag can,t be effective, it is,
but its not in the same class as the larger magnums

the 44 mag silhouette with the adjustable front site and 10 5/8" barrel that I use on many hunts

YES IT REQUIRES a shoulder holster to use comfortably

don,t get hung up on velocity just get the most accurate load

you can adjust the front site to hit dead on at 50-100-125-150 yards with some range time

Last edited by hardcastonly; 10-16-2019 at 10:52 AM.